Chocolate Sundae Cupcakes, Gluten Free
When the chocolate cupcake is calling, it’s a good idea to answer. This is one of those fast & fabulous desserts that are sure to impress. Simply toss some festive cupcake liners in a pan, whip the cream in advance, drain those cherries and by the time the cupcakes are cooling their heels on a rack, dessert is ready.
- 5 oz. GF flour (3 oz. superfine brown rice flour, 1 oz. superfine white rice flour, 1 oz. tapioca starch/flour) (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 3 oz. unsweetened cocoa (about ¾ cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 7 oz. sugar (1 scant cup)
- 4.5 oz. (9 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 oz. sour cream (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 oz. very hot water (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Kahlua or Creme de Cacao
Cream and Topping
- 1 half-pint heavy whipping cream (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- optional: chocolate jimmies or sundae chopped nuts
- 12 maraschino cherries with stems, drained (get tasty stuff)
- Preheat oven to 350. Place liners in a muffin pan (about 12). Set aside.
- In a large bowl weigh the flour, add the cocoa, baking powder, espresso powder, salt and baking soda. Add the sugar. Whisk together. In a heatproof glass bowl/container, melt butter. Cool slightly. Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and liqueur. Whisk to incorporate thoroughly. Add the butter/eggs/sour cream/flavoring ingredients to the dry and mix until the batter is smooth, thick and no lumps remain. Add hot water and mix thoroughly until smooth and less thick. A stand mixer or a hand-held mixer makes fast work of this. Scoop about ⅔ full into liners and bake for about 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with few crumbs. Don’t over bake. Place each cupcake on a rack to cool completely.
- Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with a whip attachment mix cream with sugar and vanilla. As it begins to thicken, turn the mixer to a medium high setting and whip until soft peaks form. Store in the refrigerator until ready to top cupcakes.
- Drain cherries and set on a paper towel to completely drain until ready to top cupcakes.
Pipe or scoop whipped cream onto the top of each cupcake. Optional: sprinkle with chocolate jimmies or chopped nuts. Top each cupcake with a cherry – with the stem attached.
Sit back & enjoy your yummy work of art!
Thanks for visiting.