These are almost too pretty to eat! Can you imagine biting into this fabulous rich chocolate cupcake with a creamy Peppermint Swiss Meringue Butter-cream frosting? Don’t you just love the contrast of these cupcakes? They are so elegant and classy looking. I found these on the blog Sweet Revelations by Renee. She has the very best recipes ever! Thank you Renee for sharing these with us. Give them a try. You will be so happy you did!
First you will make Dark Chocolate cupcakes then top with some Peppermint Swiss Meringue Butter-Cream. Recipe below.
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1. Fill a saucepan (large enough to fit your mixing bowl just a few inches) with two inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low so water continues to simmer.
2. In your stand mixer bowl, hand whisk the egg whites and the sugar just until combined. Place over simmering pot and whisk for approx 4 mins until the egg whites are hot (about 150 degrees.) The sugar should be dissolved by this time as well. Place bowl on stand mixer and attach the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until whites have increased in volume, are thick and glossy, and the outside of the bowl is just slightly warm to the touch. This can take up to 10 minutes!
3. Remove whisk attachment and replace with paddle attachment. Beat on low-speed until mixture is completely cooled. Increase speed to medium and add butter pieces one at a time. Scrape the bowl and continue to beat until buttercream is glossy, smooth, and thick. It may separate at first, but continue beating and it will emulsify. Add vanilla flavoring, a pinch of salt and peppermint, and beat until combined. Add food colouring if desired. Use immediately.
Garnish with a chocolate covered peppermint stick.
Have a wonderful day baking!