Today I would like to share with you a wonderful tutorial on how to make a Vintage Mini Pop Up Book. This is very simple to make and so much fun doing it. I found this wonderful project on Layers of Ink blog. This was created from Karen Burniston with Sizzix. Pop-ups are a great interactive element to use in a mini book along with making it so you can use more of your photos.
Let’s get started!
For the base, use a Tim Holtz Cameo Frame die. This is a very fun shape to work with. You can also adapt to work with dies that you already have. If you have only one pop-up die then use it throughout your album.
Stamp the covers with Tim Holtz wallpaper stamp. Use the Versafine Vintage Sepia. Mat boards will take the ink very well. Stamp the inside of the covers with two different background stamps.
Distress the cover edges with Antique Linen and Gathered Twigs. The inking will emphasize the debossed line as that one doesn’t get inked.
I just love the Tim Holtz Picture Wheel. This was used on the front cover and it fits perfectly together with the Cameo Frame. Die Cut it in teal kraft-c0re cardstock, sand it to reveal the kraft, and ink.
Add your tiny photos to the Picture Wheel. Using the Circle Framelit, die cut a circle from a larger photo and place it in the middle of Picture Wheel.
Use the Graphic 45 8 x 8 “Old Curiosity Shoppe” for the album. The paper pad worked as a perfect size for the album. The paper line also works very well for this project bringing out the vintage look. Die cut a bunch of pages from patterned paper along with two from kraft cardstock.
Cut a piece of patterned paper 5 1/2″ x 7 x 1/2″. Place the Square Ornate 3-D frame right in the middle of the paper. You will want the fold line on the die to be in the middle of the paper. Carefully turn around, place in your base tray, and die cut.
Fold your pop-up and place on the Cameo Frame Die, making sure that the pop-up is in the middle of the Cameo Frame (that the distance to the edges is the same.) Place the fold line just below the cutting line on the die.
Here is a close up where you can see better how the folded paper is placed just below the cutting line. Then the die will not cut your paper where you want it to remain folded. Run it through your die cutting machine
Now you have ended up with a folded Cameo Frame pop up page.
Do the same with the Star and the Poinsettia Flower pop ups. The Poinsettia die might seem to be a Christmas die. However when using it away from Christmas paper, it works on projects all through the year.
You don’t have to use patterned paper on every page. Die cut some folded pages using kraft cardstock.
Cut another paper about 5 1/2 x 7 1/2″ and cut with a 3-D label pop up.
Fold as before and die cut with the Cameo frame.
This pop up needs a backing paper so cut another folded page from kraft paper. You need to trim the pop up a bit around the edges so the edges will not show.
Die cut the Circle Label from another patterned paper. This time do not cut it with the Cameo Frame, but instead make it narrow enough to fit inside a Kraft Cameo Frame page.
Die cut the Love 3-D Phrase pop up from patterned paper and cut it narrow enough to fit inside a folded Cameo Frame page. Die cut the coordinating word using the Love set.
Stamp all the kraft folded both front and back using different stamps to fit your project.
The front of the album was created with the Picture Wheel, Vintage Lace, and butterflies. Keeping the pages quite flat so that the album wouldn’t be to bulky, most of the embellishments are die cut from kraft-core Core’dinations cardstock. Using your scraps of patterned paper, you can die cut more of your embellishments. Adding your own photos and a few more of vintage embellishments really makes this a wonderful pop up book.
- Victorian Cameo, Frame, & Perfume Bottle Thinlits (Sizzix 659064 $19.99)
- Bigz Picture Wheel (Sizzix 658558 $19.99)
- Poinsettia 3-D Flower (Sizzix 658044 $19.99)
- Bigz Star Bright 3-D (Sizzix 658265 $29.99)
- Frame Square Ornate 3-D Pop-up (Sizzix 658045 $19.99)
- Love 3-D Phrase (Sizzix 657800 $19.99)
- Tim Holtz Wallpaper & Wood (Stampers Anonymous cms126 $21.95)
- Graphic 44 Steampunk Spells Two (Hampton Art ic0255$10.99)
- A Village – Hero Arts (Hampton Art S5432$12.99)
- Serenade Birds & Flowers (Hero Arts CG478 $11.99)
- Number Pattern (Hero Arts cg516 $11.99)
- Flowers & Dots – Hero Arts (Hero Arts CG459 $11.99)
Product Used (Not Shown):
- Stamps – Hero Arts Lucille Delicate Flower, Tiny Flower Background, Friend Collage, Antique Flower Background
- Dies – Sizzix Circle Label 3-D, 3- D Label, Vintage Lace, Tattered Banners, Party Set #2, Noel Set, Love Set, Heart & Wing, Borders Thinlits, Doily & Doily Border Thinlits, Butterflies & Flower Vine, Lovely Labels Set, Heart & Label, Hearts & More, Sweet Treats for You Set, Lace Medallion Doily, Circles Framelits, Mini Bird & Cage, Card Phrases Set #2, Vintage Alarm Clock & Camera, Mini Filmstrip & Mini Tickets, Mini Pine Tree, Mini Snowflakes, Mini Labels, Arrows, Banners, Chevrons & Cloud Thinlits, Mini Gears, Fancy Labels, Mini Old Jalopy & Arrow, Fancy Frame, Mini Baroque, Mini Cabinet Card, Mini Silhouettes, Cargo Stencil Numbers
- Paper – Graphic 45 8×8 Old Curiosity Shoppe, Core’dinations Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Cardstock, Sizzix 6 x 13 Mat Board
- Ink – Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink Gathered Twigs, Antique Linen, Tim Holtz Versafine Vintage Sepia
- Accessories – Tim Holtz ChitChat Stickers, Filmstrip Ribbon, Seasonal ChitChat Ribbon
- Adhesives – Distress Stickles Rock Candy