I am so excited to introduce you to the talented Cat Martin today for the Designer Spotlight! Her scrapbook pages and illustrations are so eye-catching and bright!
Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got started crafting: My name is Cathy, though I often go by Cat 😊 I’m 35 years old, and am a mom to 3 crazy kiddos. I have been married for 13 years to the PB to my J. I am a full on geek and I’m proud of it. I love video games, horror movies, and roleplaying. I am obsessed with collecting Disney Tsum Tsums and I’ve loved unicorns since I was 4! I began scrapping in 2009 after my son was born. I started seeing pictures online of scrapbook layouts and I wanted a unique way to document family pictures since they had suddenly become important to me. When I started out I really struggled. I loved the creativity of the scrapbooking process, it was a great way to combine my love of crafting with my training in graphic design and illustration. I started getting more involved in the online scrapbooking community, and with all the wonderful inspiration around it spurred me on to keep crafting away! I became hooked with scrapping and it soon became not only a hobby, but a passion!
What is your favorite thing to create? Honestly, my favorite thing to create is 12×12 layouts. I’ve just always loved that format and I’ve only rarely deviated from them. I have, on occasion, made mini albums too, and I have really enjoyed having an entire album come together quickly with just simple embellishing. I also enjoy creating wall art and shadowboxes!
What do you love about this hobby? This hobby has become so much more than just a way to preserve memories. I use it as a stress-reliever, a creative outlet, and recently a way to start a fledgling career. I have also gained so much from being involved with the many scrapping communities online. I have talked with and been on teams with so many wonderful people that it makes me feel like I’m in a place where I belong, a place where I fit in!
5 fun facts about yourself:
1. I don’t mention it much, but I have a twin. We are fraternal twins so we don’t look very much alike, though most can see that we look like siblings. She’s not too happy that I seemed to have gained all the creativity.
2. Out of my whole immediate family, I’m the only one that is left-handed, the only one that has green eyes, and the only one with a different blood type. It definitely solidified me as the black sheep of the family.
3. Before I left University to study graphic design I was studying biology. My end goal was to eventually become a forensics investigator or a forensic pathologist.
4. Even though I mostly do illustration work for myself, I have been asked to do illustration work for both Disney and Mattel in the past.
5. When I was in college (for my 2nd diploma) a local broadcaster came to our school to see if our animation class was interested in creating a series of shorts. A few of us got to work and created a cartoon called Mistfit High. It was about students that were also monsters or creatures, such as Frankenstein, a Sasquatch, and a cyclops. It was fun to do character design and script writing. A few months after our show was on the television a set of dolls called Monster High was released. We still joke about the coincidence.
BOYS RULE by Cat Martin
I love mixing and matching various products from my stash. I wanted this layout to have a funky vibrant feel and the picture worked perfect for a layout on an angle.
SQUAD GOALS by Cat Martin
I used craft paint to create this cute rainbow and then added glitter glue and enamel dots to accent it! I absolutely love the whimsical and bright feel of this layout.
SILLY FACE by Cat Martin
One of my favorite things to add on layouts is texture. I love adding ribbon, twine, pom poms, or other items to add a special touch. For this layout I used my absolute favorite black and white bakers twine.
WONDERFUL YOU by Cat Martin
This layout holds a special place in my heart because it’s the first layout I did with the die cuts that I had designed myself. I really loved getting to use so many beautiful colors to create this lovely winter layout.
MAKE A WISH by Cat Martin
I just fell in love with that beautiful rainbow inspired paper, and I decided to use some hand stitching around the clouds to add some fun details. I combined products from lots of different collections and even included a fabric patch!
All of these layouts make me want to run to my scrap space and SCRAP!! So inspiring! Thank you for sharing your projects with us today Cat!