Don’t you just love canning jars? I have them all over my home in different sizes, different colors, dozens of designs from plain to ornate, and I love every one of them. They are so versatile. You can display them, paint them, drink from them, and store everything from jams to buttons in them. But I have never come across a chipboard canning jar….until Eileen Hull released her “Canning Jars” 3-D die for Sizzix.
This is one of those versatile must have dies. It can be used for anything from a treat box to a mini album for your treasured family favorite recipes.
First die cut 2 of each jar, plus lids and center strips out of heavyweight chipboard
Then using a good permanent adhesive, adhere papers to all the sides, then distress with Vintage Photo distressing ink.
Next, folding the center strip where it’s scored, adhere it to the center bottom of one of the jars using hot glue. When set, put hot glue on the other edges and adhere the top canning jar to the center strip.
Then it’s just a matter of embellishing your jar with vintage goodies. Hilary used wooden accents, vintage die cuts, and Brenda Waltons Summer Florals die plus cutting flowers from quilters batting then adding buttons. Then when the fronts are finished, simply wrap coffee stain muslin and twine around the “lid” several times and tye it off.
I hope you are as inspire by this fun project as I was. To see more of Hilary’s fabulous designs be sure to stop by her blog Hilary Scraps. You will be glad you did.
Thanks for visiting & I wish you a very creative day!
- 3D Canning Jars by Eileen Hull (Sizzix $39.99)
- Medallions Decorative Strip by Brenda Walton (Sizzix $21.99)
- Summer Florals Decorative Strip by Brenda Walton (Sizzix $21.99)
Product Used (Not Shown):
- Tools: Sizzix Big Shot
- Chipboard: Sizzix Heavyweight Chipboard or Mat Board
- Fabric: Coffee Stained Muslin, Quilter’s Batting
- Ink: Vintage Photo Distressing Ink
- Misc: Vintage Diecuts, Buttons, Twine, Wooden Accents
- Adhesive: Tombow Power Bond Adhesive, Hot Glue