Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got started crafting: I’m Carissa and I’m from the little town of Exeter, California. I’m a wife, mommy to three fabulous children ages 17, 13 and 11, and a full time Registered Nurse. Somehow I manage to fit blogging and paper crafting into that busy schedule (and yes, I do sleep). I started paper crafting after my son was born. I started as a scrapbooker, but eventually migrated to the wonderful world of card making. I love all kinds of paper crafting, but card making has really become my thing. I love that I can share my craft with family and friends in the form of a handmade card.
Favorite thing to create: Card making is my thing. I love mixing it up with different techniques.
What do you love about card making? I love that card making is the papercraft that you truly share with others. I love sending and giving handmade cards to the special people in my life. Card making is the craft that you make to give away. And that makes it near and dear to my heart. I can’t tell you the value of a handwritten note in someone’s mailbox. It’s an instant day brightener.
5 fun facts about yourself:
1. I love gold… especially gold glitter. I would paint my walls gold if my husband would let me. I still have a long way to go in convincing him that gold glitter is an appropriate color for the living room.
2. I don’t like chocolate. I know, I know… I’ve heard it all. I’m not a real woman… I’m weird… You can’t tell me anything I haven’t heard on this subject. There are plenty of other things I like, chocolate just isn’t one of them.
3. I adore my planner. Seriously, I’m taking it on vacation with me. Can’t live without it. Instant separation anxiety if I step out without it.
4. I can think of a song for almost any situation. Just say a sentence and I will generally be able to sing a song relating to that. I sing all the time at work… and they often refer to me as Mary Poppins. I also sing and play the piano in our praise team at church, because I needed one more thing to do ☺
5. I couldn’t do it without my husband. He’s the best. No seriously, he is. He does dishes, laundry, carpool, makes lunches… whatever he needs to do to get stuff done and doesn’t ever complain. He is my teammate and partner and I couldn’t love him more.
Here is Carissa’s Scrapbook Expo Spotlight creation:
YOU TOTALLY ROCK by Carissa Wiley
This project was created exclusively for the Scrapbook Expo Weekly Scrapper blog. I wanted to include all of my favorite things on this card so I have some watercoloring, die cutting, vellum, patterned acetate, and of course, some gold glitter cardstock. I used a circle die to deboss an area to contain my watercoloring. This made it easy to keep the watercoloring within the circle. I layered the patterned acetate over the watercolor portion to create layers of color and pattern. I finished the card off by adding a layer of glossy accents over the top of the gold glitter sentiment, adding even more shine!
HELLO by Carissa Wiley
I love this partial die cut magnolia card. The colors are bright and fun! I also love the way the gorgeous magnolia feels like it’s blooming right off the card. I paired these bright colors with some black to balance it all out. I finished it off with some sequins and a coat of Wink Of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Marker over the mondo magnolia to add some subtle shimmer.
CELEBRATE by Carissa Wiley
This Celebrate Shaker Card is one of my more recent creations. This project pairs some of my favorite things: gold glitter cardstock, sequins, and black and white stripes. This fun card opens to reveal the shaker portion inside. I stamped the balloons and colored them with Copic markers. I drew the strings by hand to make sure that they would connect to the delicate die cut greeting, which happens to be another favorite of mine!
PLANNER by Carissa Wiley
I created this planner dashboard to keep at the front of my planner (one of my most prized possessions). I love the fun shaker elements, the patterned acetate, glitter and vellum die cuts, and patterned papers. I love that I can keep something crafty in a place where I will see it every single day. The patterns and elements inspire me and the pictures remind me of the most important people in my life.
ENJOY YOUR DAY by Carissa Wiley
This card was created for a watercolor challenge. I used some Zig Clean Color real brush pens to create the watercolor background. Attaching acetate to the front of a card can be tricky, so I used the die cuts to my advantage. The acetate is sandwiched between the glitter die cut and a die cut piece of fun foam. This adds lift to the acetate and creates depth. I finished off the delicate enjoy sentiment with a coat of glossy accents.
Thanks for stopping by and getting to know Carissa a little better! See you again in a week with another spotlight!